As a conservation scientist with 25 years of academic experience, I offer professional coaching services for those interested in mentoring for success within an academic setting or to find professional success in government or non-governmental organizations working in the areas of conservation and natural resource management.
I offer these services to both graduate students and early career faculty. I can help you:
- Identify professional objectives
- Crafting a dissertation to meet professional objectives
- Focus on funding projects that further your objectives
- Identifying where specialized training is needed
- Developing a workplan
- Measuring progress toward your objectives
- Prioritizing actions to meet professional objectives
- Finding and seizing opportunities
- Avoiding burdensome commitments
- Setting timelines and benchmarks
- Creating a professional network
- Upward looking networks , peer networks
- Research, teaching, and service networks
- Dealing with difficult interactions
- Difficult supervisor / student relations
- Hiring and firing
- When to seek mediation
- Writing and communication
- Identifying the audience
- Identifying the venue
- Clarifying the message
- 23 years at UC Davis; 4 years at the Illinois Natural History Survey;
- >100 publications with over 10K Google scholar citations; h-index = 48
- > 50 grants totalling > $4 million in research funding;
- UCD Undergradaute teaching award,
- Adminstrative leadership:
- Director, John Muir Institute of the Environment, 2009-2016
- Academic advising:
- Chair, Graduate Group in Ecology, 2004-2009
- Director, Conservation Management Degree Certificate program (UC Davis) (2009-present)
- Over 20 graduate students and post-docs trained
- Grad Group in Ecology Professor of the Year (3 times)
- Journal editing:
- North American editor of Biological Conservation, (1998-2003)
- Senior Associate Editor of Conservation Letters (2014- present)
- Conservation practice:
- With US agencies:
- National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Geological Survey, US Forest Service, US Bureau of Land Management
- With NGO’s:
- The Nature Conservancy, Conservation Measures Partnership, Conservation Coaches Network
- With US agencies:
- All conversations are confidential.
- I prefer coaching via the phone, but will also coach via email.
- Submit short answers to a simple list of questions regarding your current position, professional aspirations and major challenges (available on request)
- Engage in a free 30 minute introductory session
- If you are interested in pursuing further coaching, schedule additional sessions, 30 minutes each
- Coaching is a lot like having a chat with a friend about things that are important to you.
- I am 100% honest in expressing my opinions, but I do not have a goal for you other than that you have a goal that you are progressing toward.
- I do not have an opinion on what your objectives should be. They are your objectives, this is about you.
- Available upon request.